Since my VGA to PAL adapter attached to the VDR host is not really working well for video, I am now owner of a media player that covers the following options:
- wired networking capabilities
- support of many media formats
- small, moderate power consumption
The Asus O!Play HDP-R1 meets these requirements, leaving some issues:
- VDR/MPEG-PS is not working, so I have to convert most of my VDR recordings. In contrast MPEG-TS provided by latest releases of VDR is working well.
- MKV (Matroska) is showing strange speed changes in first tests. I am currently testing, if this is related to the server system. In first tests I just converted the VDR/MPEG-PS container to a MKV container leaving the contents as is.
- I have not tested the setup with HDMI, since our current TV set is still a low-resolution PAL system.